Children in Crisis

Since opening its doors in 2008, Children in Crisis (CIC) has provided a safe, secure, loving home to more than 800 children in the CIC Children’s Neighborhood.  Each year about 100 at-risk children are taken into the Neighborhood as new arrivals. On any given day, 55 to 60 children are in full-time residence. Sibling separation is minimized and CIC’s priority is to keep brothers and sisters together.  Consistently, about 47% of the children are from Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties with the other 53% coming from Okaloosa and Walton counties.

The CIC Neighborhood, located in Fort Walton Beach, contains an emergency shelter and five family-style homes, all staffed with full-time, round-the-clock house parents. The beautifully landscaped campus also has eight studio apartments for transitional housing to help prevent young adults aging out of the foster care program from becoming homeless. The most recent campus addition is Kay’s Cupboard. This fully air-conditioned pantry provides space for accepting and storing donations of food, clothing, and household products.

With the opening of Kay’s Cupboard, hands-on outreach opportunities at CIC include: sorting food items, stocking shelves, and organizing clothing. Of course, donations of food, clothing (new and nearly-new) and household goods are always welcome.

Christ Church parishioners can also “throw a party” for the children at the Neighborhood Clubhouse. Interacting with the children in a joyful, family-style atmosphere is a wonderful opportunity to practice our mission of loving God by loving others.

To learn more about the CIC Children’s Neighborhood parishioners are encouraged to participate in a tour of the CIC campus. Upcoming tour dates will be announced soon. Plans for volunteer work sessions are also underway.

Christ Church Outreach activities at CIC and campus tours are coordinated by June Linke, 324-5702 (call or text).